Well, Bravo is kicking off it series on the next installment of the Housewives series with Real Housewives of DC. Bravo describes these ladies as “connected DC Power players who “have their pulse on the most important cultural events, political galas, gallery openings, and fundraisers in Washington society. They are supposed to be an interesting bunch, living adventurous lives.
I don’t know if these ladies are representative of DC…but they all live in the DC burbs as I do, all are about my age and I can’t imagine that their life is any more interesting and adventurous than mine has been this past month.
If my life were a television show, the setting for the various episodes would have been a Hon Fest in Baltimore, the diplomatic rooms of the State Department, the Rose Garden of the White House, the flight deck of a US Navy Destroyer and a Zoey Muth concert in Seattle…all in one month.
Just think of the ratings and script possibilities:
• Hon Fest: Technically this is not DC (Baltimore-Washington) but for an important cultural event, it can’t be beat. Honfest in Baltimore celebrates the historic working women of Baltimore with the dressing and wearing of Beehive hairdos. While the hon fest I was referring to actually took place at Martin’s West, (and I say this with all the affection for the very nice and honoring event), a Housewife episode of beehive hairdos and this festival would have delighted fans. A smashing of beehive would make for better TV than tugging at an Atlanta housewife’s blonde wig, or perhaps the nesting of a bird (Bethany’s hair notwithstanding) causes pandemonium. (Captures the working class audience).
• Diplomatic Room of the State Department: The Benjamin Franklin Room and the view of DC from the Balcony can’t be beat since you get to see all of the Monuments, Memorials, the Capitol, White House all in one view and be entertained where countless powerful people from all over the world have been entertained.
• The White House –an actual invitation to the White House, listening to President Obama and greeting him in the Rose Garden. No Party Crashing necessary. Try “leiing”the President and watch him take it off almost instantaneously. (Must be some Presidential Protocol or Security thing..even though he is from Hawaii.)
• Military personnel and their families would have been tuned in to the episode of the Tiger Cruise where a housewife sees what it’s like to be a woman on a Navy Destroyer. The only crashing would have been the waves, and the potential for it with the staged Visitor Board Search and Seizure exercise. But it would make for entertaining television to watch the head knocking on a lot of steep stairs (ladders) especially the stairs below deck. The show could have been staged with high heels and skirts. (Alas, there is already a movie that has been made of a naval carrier with civilians on board being ordered in combat mode.) In addition, the opportunity to debut a new song like the two other housewives who cannot sing (Tardy at the Party etc.) was possible at the Karaoke night on ship or as the wake up song played every morning. Imagine a duet called Captain and Tenille….Never Mind. More on Tiger Cruise to follow.
• Perhaps the next DC Housewife aspiring singing performance could have been in the Tractor Tavern in Seattle with a country-flavored & blues-infused contemporary folk song ala EILEN JEWELL and ZOE MUTH & THE LOST HIGH ROLLERS. A surprise twist would include going on stage for an impromptu duet (which occurred) or trio….
According to Bravo, the cast “leading members of D.C. society are in the know and comfortable discussing everything from the economy to high fashion.” Well, I can do that…..but I am NOT “the talk of the town in the most powerful city in the world.” Thank God!